[lbo-talk] Targeting Empire?

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 16 11:07:19 PDT 2007

dredmond at efn.org wrote:
> (Yawn). Perry has become like those FM stations in the heartland, which
> broadcast the greatest hits of the 1950s.

The only places in the US I have found 1950's R&R format FM stations still operating are California and Michigan. Every one of the stations that used to play 1950's in the Midwest now plays 1960's-1970's with an occasional 1950's tune thrown in. They may have a themed show of a few hours on Saturday that is 1950's only but otherwise they play little of it. At least as far as I can tell. Christian music and talk now fills a large portion of the airwaves when I travel by car. It's really become a drag trying to listen to local radio when you travel, Just like big band music is now hard to find on the dial where it was once ubiquitous 1950's era R&R is getting much more scarce. At least as far as most places in the heartland I am aware of. I'm sure there is a station somewhere in the heartland that has such a format but really this is just a gratuitous jibe against the heartland states. Sad, pointless and divisive.

John Thornton