[lbo-talk] Support Bloomberg and Rafsanjani? (was Re: Rafsanjani to lead key Iran body)

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 09:13:50 PDT 2007

> On Sep 16, 2007, at 11:27 AM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
> > I've raised many questions and offered some suggestions. Here's
> > another one. Let's say a Muslim man or woman happens to find this
> > mailing list by chance while Googling the Net in search of information
> > so he or she can better understand US economy. This hypothetical
> > Muslim individual would have much to learn from you. He or she may
> > even have much in common with you, already critical of the American
> > power elite's handling of US economy, US foreign policy, and so forth,
> > though not in possession of analytical tools and empirical data that
> > you have. Would your suggesting that religion is essentially nothing
> > but an organized superstition help him or her learn from you, or would
> > it create an unnecessary cultural barrier?
>
> I really don't see why I should regulate what I say to avoid
> offending a hypothetical googler from far away. My reaction to the
> role of religion in politics has been shaped by having lived my whole
> life in the U.S., where piety has done some really nasty work. I'm
> very happy that secularism is growing in the U.S. As with Iranian
> political arrangements, I've never gone out of my way to denounce
> Islam; to me, it's just one of many organized superstitions that I
> wish all would go away. I know they won't, and I don't spend very
> much of my time arguing the point, but I am for the ruthless
> criticism of all that exists.

Are you really in favor of the ruthless criticism of all that exists, including, for instance, liberalism and secularism?

> > Liberalism is the hegemonic ideology of global capitalism, and we are
> > all, Muslims or Leninists or whatever our professed belief, are deeply
> > affected by it. The way I look at it, most leftists have come to
> > unconsciously adopt liberalism one way or another without having
> > examined it. Unconscious adoption is more of a problem than conscious
> > adoption like Andie's. The thing to do is to examine liberalism
> > closely and then think carefully about what we want to do with it.
>
> I don't really get what you mean by "liberalism." Is is economic
> liberalism, Manchester style? That's certainly pretty big these days.
> Do you mean the Cold War liberalism of the ADA and Hubert Humphrey?
> Peter Beinart would like to see that revived, but it's not very
> strong now. Do you mean a mild social democracy, as in John Kenneth
> Galbraith? That's dead? Do you mean the reigning ideology of The
> Nation? That has little influence in American political life. So what
> is this allegedly dominant liberalism you keep talking about?
> Corporate multiculturalism? What?

What we ought to analyze is how political liberalism protects capitalism through its public-private distinction. As Stanley Fish* sums it up in his New York Times blog, liberalism is an ideology that

insists . . . on a form of government that is, in legal

philosopher Ronald Dworkin's words, "independent

of any particular conception of the good life." Individual

citizens are free to have their own conception of what

the good life is, but the state, liberal orthodoxy insists,

should neither endorse nor condemn any one of them

(unless of course its adherents would seek to impose

their vision on others).

It follows then that the liberal state can not espouse

a particular religion or require its citizens to profess it.

Instead, the liberal state is committed to tolerating all

religions while allying itself with none. Indeed, Starr

declares, "the logic of liberalism" is "exemplified" by

religious toleration. For if the idea is to facilitate the

flourishing of many points of view while forestalling

"internecine… conflicts" between them, religion, the

most volatile and divisive of issues, must be removed

from the give and take of political debate and confined

to the private realm of the spirit, where it can be

tolerated because it has been quarantined.

Thus the toleration of religion goes hand in hand with –

is the same thing as – the diminishing of its role in the

society. It is a quid pro quo. What the state gets by

"excluding religion from any binding social consensus"

(Starr) is a religion made safe for democracy. What

religion gets is the state's protection. The result, Starr

concludes approvingly, is "a political order that does not

threaten to extinguish any of the various theological

doctrines" it contains.

That's right. The liberal order does not extinguish

religions; it just eviscerates them, unless they are the

religions that display the same respect for the public-

private distinction that liberalism depends on and

enforces. A religion that accepts the partitioning of the

secular and the sacred and puts at its center the

private transaction between the individual and his God

fits the liberal bill perfectly. John Locke and his followers,

of whom Starr is one, would bar civic authorities from

imposing religious beliefs and would also bar religious

establishments from meddling in the civic sphere.

Everyone stays in place; no one gets out of line.

But what of religions that will not stay in place, but claim

the right, and indeed the duty, to order and control the

affairs of the world so that the tenets of the true faith are

reflected in every aspect of civic life? Liberalism's answer

is unequivocal. Such religions are the home of

"extremists . . . fascists . . . enemies of the public good . . .

authoritarian despots and so forth."

Marxism, to be true to its vocation, cannot abide by the "public-private distinction that liberalism depends on and enforces" for the benefit of capitalism. Nor can religion if it is to be a vehicle of resistance of masses rather than a means for their domestication. Nor can even a strong populism of the sort embodied in the Bolivarian process, which is the reason why liberals are increasingly critical of its direction.

* On the same subject, see, also, the "Great Separation" examined by Mark Lilla in "The Politics of God" (New York Times, 19 August 2007, <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/19/magazine/19Religion-t.html?ei=5090&en=341d1b3853a2d364&ex=1345176000&adxnnl=1&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss&adxnnlx=1187634122-Z1m/wt5OIk8NX30/EnGFzg>).

Siva Vaidhyanathan says in his response to Lilla: "I just don't see how one can claim that what Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad derides as 'liberalism and Western-style democracy' has dominated anywhere for any significant period of time. Heck, this country had a functional democracy (with almost all adult citizens enfranchised and the state generally reflecting the will of the electorate) for a very brief period of time: either from 1965 through 2000 (Voting Rights Act through Bush's unelected takeover) or 1971 through 2000 (starting with the adoption of the 26th Amendment)." (<http://mediamatters.org/altercation/200708200003#1>). That is true: "liberal democracy" _as we think we know it_ came into being only very recently and its time may have already passed. But the problem of the Great Separation, essentially of a piece with capitalism's disembedding of economy from the larger social order that Marx, Polanyi, and so on have clarified, and the conflicts between those who accept the Great Separation on one hand and those who don't, whether they are religious or Marxist or strong populist, on the other hand are real.

> A good friend who reads the archives regularly writes:
>
> > Unbelievable. She has reinvented late SDS ideology all on her own.
> > This was what people like Mark Rudd were saying just before they
> > went off the deep end. The Weatherpeople tried to atone for their
> > sins by emulating the Viet Cong, while Yoshie emulates the Iranian
> > mullahs. Talk about farce after tragedy. Well, maybe farce after
> > farce would be more accurate.

It looks like your good friend Mr. Louis Proyect is having a senior moment, having forgotten that he has already said the same thing (see below). Mr. Proyect, in his zeal for a reverse cult of personality, seems to have also forgotten what the primary contradiction is.

<http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20070528/010459.html> [lbo-talk] dev'ts in world economy and foreign ownership Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com Tue May 29 11:17:18 PDT 2007

Someone wrote me offlist with the observation that your politics increasingly resemble those of the late 1960s SDS

-- Yoshie