[lbo-talk] 100-mile diet - Sure it's self-involvement, but is it also bullshit?

John Palmer john at sonoracohousing.com
Mon Sep 17 09:31:55 PDT 2007

You might be right, Wojtek, about the purely symbolic nature of the 100 mile diet but the desire to buy locally produced food is about a lot more than improving the carbon footprint. In the community I live in 5 families are members of a local CSA (community supported agriculture) consortium. Members subscribe (pay in advance) for a growing season to a get a share of the produce from Farmer Frank's farm. The total membership in this CSA is now about 300. Each week we get a bag full of locally grown fruits and vegetables and a newsletter which has some recipes to help us deal with the more exotic offerings. Our farmer farms without pesticides; if we pay more we can get eggs from pastured chickens, meat and cheese from pastured cows and goats. We are encouraged to visit the farms; last year we went to one of the farms to pick apples late in the season. Perhaps this is just a "feel good" exercise in the larger scheme of things but the different economic model does make it possible for the farmer to farm in a way that he feels respects the land and the animals and it gives us city folk a connection to our food which does, well, feel good.

Last Thursday our cohousing community in Tucson hosted a young couple who started a ranch just south of Tucson. They brought meat from their ranch for a hambuger cookout. They are concerned to raise their animals on pasture and they find outlets for their meat (which is, of course, more expensive than supermarket beef) in local farmer's markets and CSA style subscription. I am not a big hambuger eater but the one I ate was delicious.

I hope that some return to smaller scale farming is not ridiculous; industrial scale agriculture is exploitive and sometimes (think hogs or chickens) frightening to contemplate. In the meantime farmer's markets and CSA's do allow for an alternative to prosper; it is conceivable that the more successful of these ventures might be models for the future of agriculture (admittedly, I have an imagination).

John Palmer