[lbo-talk] What are you reading now?

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Tue Sep 18 08:58:59 PDT 2007

I agree with Ian here: our language games with the word "consume" relate to tangible objects, not information and knowledge. I consume hot dogs; I do not consume the central limit theorem or the general theory of relativity. In addition, when I'm teaching, I'm not "producing" any information or knowledge; I'm encouraging students to develop their understanding. The use of the production/consumption metaphor here is

very misleading.

Miles

^^^^^^ CB: Speaking of hot dogs, Marx uses a metaphor in which the teacher stuffs the student like a sausage. The process "adds value" to the student's labor power, which is a commodity.