[lbo-talk] Support Bloomberg and Rafsanjani? (was Re: Rafsanjani to lead key Iran body)

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 09:07:47 PDT 2007

On 9/18/07, Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
> >
> > Once again, I don't see why I can't say I don't like
> > religion, and at
> > the same time work with religious people. Why is it
> > that the seculars
> > have to make all the concessions?
>
> The religious aren't making concessions by working
> with you? :)

In my marriage the religious makes more concessions to the irreligious than vice versa, because my partner is no decider and is moreover more into homemaking than I am. By the way, in the Presbyterian household of my partner's family (his father is a retired Presbyterian pastor), his marriage to an alien historical materialist who refuses to be fruitful and multiply caused no ideological ripple, but his youngest brother and his wife's exploration of Unitarian Universalism did. My father- and mother-in-law muttered, "But Unitarian Universalists have _no creed_." They, wise people, correctly understand that historical materialism is a creedal religion (albeit a creed increasingly more honored in the breach than the observance), thus more like their faith than Unitarian Universalism, New Age philosophy, or the ideology of those who say they have "no religious affiliation" and who do not have any other affiliation either.

Ubi Lenin, Ibi Jerusalem -- Yoshie