[lbo-talk] 100-mile diet - Sure it's self-involvement, but is it also bullshit?

boddi satva lbo.boddi at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 14:25:04 PDT 2007

This is all excellent and I do thank you all very much for your typical insight.

I think it's clear you can't bite off (okay, somebody had to) a part of a system and pretend that you have made a new system. Agriculture is, by definition, an export-based system. It is the ability to expand the geographical scope of the food supply by concentrating production here and shipping product there.

Of course there are legitimate criticisms of agriculture. For example, I would love to be able to afford nothing but grass-fed beef. I only buy cage-free eggs and I try and fool myself into thinking that pigs don't mind being being put all together in those huge, excrement-filled enclosures. But of course I know that's probably not true. Cage sizes, concentrations in feed lots, I'd love to see all those concerns addressed, which probably actually means more export from places where land is cheaper or "cheaper".

Of course energy is too cheap, but we knew that.

But I hope we don't have to take it out on the New Zealand lamb.

boddi