[lbo-talk] Bell Canada ads feature punk wearing "Belsen Was a Gas" button (Sex Pistols), went up during Jewish New Year

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 19 00:46:28 PDT 2007

[Wow, companies are on a roll lately! I'm waiting for Clorox Bleach to use Minor Threat's "Guilty of Being White." -B.]

http://adweek.blogs.com/adfreak/2007/09/belsen-was-a-ga.html

‘Belsen was a gas’ not a great copy line

Bell Canada is begging forgiveness after featuring the line “Belsen was a gas” on billboards that went up during the Jewish New Year. The line, the title of a Sex Pistols song, referring to Bergen-Belsen, the German concentration camp, appeared in the ads on a button worn by a young Japanese girl outfitted with various punk-style accessories. Bell Canada officials say they couldn’t read the words on the small proofs they saw. “It’s a bad ad on any day, perhaps particularly so this week,” says a spokesman. “It was unintended. The reality is we would never knowingly run an ad with an offensive slogan like that.” Here are the Pistols playing the song live at one of their last shows, in 1978.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9dvsqrWDXY4

—Posted by Tim Nudd

September 17, 2007 |