[lbo-talk] celebrating the hip-hop elite

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Sep 19 05:23:16 PDT 2007

[pikers next to the Wall Street elite, but similar sensibility]

New York Post [Page Six] - September 19, 2007

Fitty Prevails

KANYE West's album is outselling 50 Cent's, but Fitty topped Kanye on Forbes' Hip Hop Cash Kings list last month, coming in at No. 2 with $32 million in 2006, far ahead of Kanye. Now he's rubbing it in with "Forbes 1, 2, 3," a remix of his song, "I Get Money." On 50 Cent's MySpace page yesterday, he announced the release of the remix featuring Jay-Z, who topped the list with earnings of $34 million last year, and Sean Combs, who came in third with $28 million. Each kicks off his stanza by bragging, "I run New York." "Rappers of today are so different from rappers of the '80s," Lil Jon told Forbes. "We're using our success and celebrity and turning that into ways of making money." 50 Cent - whose G-Unit includes a record label, clothing line, Reebok sneakers, ring tones, video games and "urban fiction" - said, "This remix is more than a song, it's a celebration and collaboration of hip-hop's elite."