[lbo-talk] ANSWER vs. UFPJ

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Wed Sep 19 08:02:55 PDT 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:
> Scott McLemee writes up a study of the ANSWER-UFPJ split. Conclusion:
> yeah, the groups are different, but the people who go to their
> demonstrations are pretty much the same.
>
> McLemee: <http://www.insidehighered.com/views/2007/09/19/mclemee>
>
> paper: <http://plaza.ufl.edu/mtheaney/Coalition_Dissolution.pdf>

That's not surprising at all since both UFPJ and ANSWER are simply efforts to put an organizations at the head of a movement of progressives and liberals that would follow anything. ANSWER is just a bit more opportunistic and got out of the gate first when the rest of the movement was preoccupied with some stupid concept called "internal democracy."

What has been entertaining has been watching other groups vying for the head spot like Code Pink and World Can't Wait. The former is perhaps not as interested in being at the head and more interested in doing something a bit different. WCW is simply an effort by the RCP to front a group pushing a liberal agenda, "Impeach Bush!", in order to siphon money out of the pockets of liberal peace activists.

I hear that ANSWER had 60 million people at their latest protest.

Chuck