[lbo-talk] Marx, Keynes and the Koran

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Sep 19 08:39:31 PDT 2007

On Sep 19, 2007, at 10:55 AM, Ted Winslow wrote:

> In fact, this appropriation of Moore and of the tradition to which
> the particular idea of the "Good" belongs makes Keynes's conception
> of the "ideal commonwealth" very like Marx's, a fact that explains
> his claim that "the republic of my imagination lies on the extreme
> left of celestial space."

Except Keynes was a total snob and racist. Need I quote the classics?

Marx wanted to “organize the myriad Lilliputians and arm them with poisoned arrows.”

"We were not aware that civilisation was a thin and precarious crust erected by the personality and will of a very few, and only maintained by rules and conventions skilfully put across and guilefully preserved."

"How can I adopt a creed which, preferring the mud to the fish, exalts the boorish proletariat above the bourgeois and the intelligentsia who, with whatever faults, are the quality in life and surely carry the seeds of all human advancement?"

"I do not mean that Russian Communism alters, or even seeks to alter, human nature, that it makes Jews less avaricious or Russians less extravagant than they were before."

"[T]he class war will find me on the side of the educated bourgeoisie."

Etc.