[lbo-talk] Panopticon Apotheosis

Andy F andy274 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 15:18:20 PDT 2007

On 9/19/07, Dwayne Monroe <idoru345 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Brunner's 21st century isn't a pleasant place: some
> government agency or corporation is always watching,
> analyzing, pattern matching and searching for breaches
> of apparently limitless laws and regulations.

Meanwhile, on other fronts, things have been fast-forwarding millennia to _Dune_:

<http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/technology/technology.html?in_article_id=482560&in_page_id=1965&in_page_id=1965&expand=true#StartComments>

Run away the ray-gun is coming : We test US army's new secret weapon By MICHAEL HANLON - More by this author » Last updated at 23:21pm on 18th September 2007

Modern face of warfare: The Silent Guardian

"Where do I put my finger? There ... OK? Nothing's happening ... is it on?"

"Yes, it's on. Move your finger a bit closer."

"Er ... ow! OW!" Not good. I try again. "OWWW!" I pull my hand away sharpish. My finger is throbbing, but seems undamaged.

I was told people can take it for a second, maximum. No way, not for a wimp like me.

I try it again. It is a bit like touching a red-hot wire, but there is no heat, only the sensation of heat. There is no burn mark or blister.

[...]

-- Andy