[lbo-talk] Federal prosecutor caught in child sex sting

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 20 16:26:03 PDT 2007

Charles Brown wrote:
> ^^^^
> CB: That's the legal issue of entrapment. You can be sure that the
> sheriff deputy posing as a "mother" has a script that is legally tight
> as not to be an entrapment.

I remain less convinced than you. I certainly assume a script is in place and that legal experts have pronounced it sound. I also have little doubt however that were the potential perpetrator appearing to waver that the "need" to deviate from the script would be justified in many law enforcement officer's minds. It isn't as if we haven't seen that before on more than one occasion. Overwhelmingly these cases are not taken to trial but are settled by plea bargains. Prosecutors and Sheriffs know this so the risk of deviating from the script is probably perceived as minimal as well. My experiences with law enforcement tends to support this perception that violation of "minor" laws in search of convictions of evil doers is no vice.

John Thornton