[lbo-talk] Wings of Panopticon Desire

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 21 05:50:58 PDT 2007

(((The micro drone - only yesterday little more than a dystopian writer's nightmare - floats upon the wind, watching. Note the promotional video's happy light techno soundtrack and sun kissed, suburban German locales. No need to be concerned...d...)))

David Hambling, writing for Wired's "Danger Room" reports:

British Police's New Spy Drone

In my 2005 book Weapons Grade I predicted that police would soon be using micro air vehicles developed for the military. I didn’t realize it would happen quite so soon.

British police are now using the Microdrone from German company Microdrones GmbH in trials. According to The Times it was used to police a rock festival this summer, and there has also been interest from "MI5, the Metropolitan police, and Soca, the Serious Organised Crime Agency "

<snip>

Using these devices for military purposes is one thing, but when the police have them the discussion is completely different. Although in principle it won't allow them to spy on anything that couldn't already be seen from a helicopter, small and cheap MAVs are likely to be much more common. And, crucially, unlike a helicopter you will not be able to tell when one is watching you.

[...]

full -

<http://blog.wired.com/defense/2007/09/british-polices.html>