[lbo-talk] Fwd: Rick Warren should be in prison

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Sep 22 11:23:27 PDT 2007

Miles Jackson wrote:

> Carrol Cox wrote:
> >
> > Robert Wrubel wrote:
> >

> >>I notice that we are just as bloody in war as any of
> >>Homer's heroes (more so, in fact, because more
> >>de-personalized.) Are our "humanitarian"
> >>justifications for war more civilized than Homer's
> >>"honor"?
> >

> > Accepting (provisionally) your use of "civilized" as a positive, the
> > high point of civilization to date is Book 24 of the Iliad. Dante &
> > Shakespeare don't come even close to equalling it.
> >
> > Carrol
>
> I must respectfully disagree. The absolute zenith of civilization is
> undoubtedly "I wanna be sedated" by the reknown poet Jeffry Ross Hyman.

Well, I allowed for that when I wrote, "Accepting (provisionally) . . . "civilized" as a positive. . ." I would accept your implied sense of "civilization" as probably more accurate. We can't blame Homer for failing to foresee what civilization would become. After all, in his world kings still were able to build their own ships, needing only to borrow an axe from Calypso.

Carrol

Your typo, "reknown," is almost as interesting as some of Andie's. :-)