[lbo-talk] A Yalie regrets (was Re: Skull, Bones and Electricity)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 22 12:22:26 PDT 2007

Archibald Cox, once dean of US labor law scholars, and Special Watergate Counsel sacked at Nixon's orders(ultimately) by Robert Bork, later a DC Cir. Appellate Judge and US S.Ct nominee, was famous for his bow ties, in which he (Cox), at 6'++, rail-thin (all that handball, I am sure) and every inch an Ivy League WASP, looked completely natural.

A story: at a trial way from his usual haunts, someplace where aristocratic Ivy League lawyer/law profs were regarded with suspicion and hostility, opposing counsel made a deprecatory reference to Cox's "Harvard phony clip-on bow tie" or something like that. Cox stood up to his full height, and ostentatiously untied his bow (real) tie and retied it, then sat down. Didn't say a word. Opposing counsel was crushed.

<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/156000830X/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_top/104-4052789-8040733?ie=UTF8&n=283155&s=books>