[lbo-talk] Panopticon Apotheosis

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 22 12:39:08 PDT 2007

I hadn't heard of Shockwave Rider (thanks for the ref), but the Cyberpunk worlds of Blade Runner, William Gibson (Neuromancer, etc. -- he invented the term cyberspace, I believe), Bruce Sterling, and Neal Stephenson seem to have been highly prophetic.

On an employment log blog that I read someone posted a figure that 80% of employers (it may have been employers over a certain size) monitor their employees' computer use, language used, websites visited, usually with a spy program. The usual alleged reason is "to prevent sexual harassment" liability.