[lbo-talk] post Analytical Marxist era

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 22 23:54:33 PDT 2007

No mea culpas from me, sorry. I don't think AM failed, I think it was abandoned. Insofar as I still do political philosophy in a Marxian vein, it's still AM.

I'm not going to get into a debate about value theory, which I still regard as an immense waste of time (today); you'll have to wait till my book on Marx, in which I will repeat my cursory dismissal in a way that will still strike you as shallow, superficial, and missing the point. Btw not all AMs reject value theory; Davis Schweickart thinks it's defensible. I don't. I don't even think it's worth refuting at length. I think it's a near-total bore.

Insofar as figuring out why commodities exchange at equivalents was was "Marx's problem," I am not that interested in Marx's problem. If I thought that value theory, so understood, was the heart and soul of Marxism, I'd be much less interested in it than I am. So if you ask AMs why they didn't start they, you will get the answer that they found other things in Marx more interesting and valuable. I also don't care to debate this. You will not persuade me that I ought to devote a lot of the time remaining to me on this earth to value theory. In my bigotry and ignorance, I will not listen.

Unlike Doug, I think the collapse of Marxism as a movement is vastly more significant and important. Marxism as theory is as true as it ever was, however true that might have been -- and among the valuable truths in Marxism I do not include value theory or value theoretic analysis. The development of Marxism as a theory remains important, which is why I am going to write a book on Marx, at least one. But part of my argument will be that we can preserve what is important an interesting in Marxism as a theory without value theory.

So reconceived, it won't address all the same questions, and you won't consider it Marxism, but that's OK. I'm not a Marxist. I'm happy to let you have the term. I am interested in what is valuable, important and worth preserving in the materialist conception of history and the critique of political economy.

So, if you are reading this as a way of saying I don't want to talk about value theory because I think it is a boring, irrelevant waste of time, and I don't want to discuss at length why I think so, because it seems pretty obvious to me, you're right. And if you think I am a close-minded bigot on this subject, I don't care.

Ars longa, vita brevis. Sorry.