[lbo-talk] Post-Marxist Era (Was Re: Keynes: Marx and the Koran)

Mr. WD mister.wd at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 08:28:36 PDT 2007

On 9/23/07, Carl Remick <carlremick at gmail.com> wrote:

> What fascinates me is that there seems to be a general collapse of
> actionable Big Ideas worldwide currently. All cant aside, no
> *thinking* person these days honestly views religion as anything but
> an embarrassment to humankind.

We may be experiencing a general collapse of *intellectually respectable* actionable Big Ideas, but there are at least two idiotic Big Ideas that could gain a lot of traction in a crisis: Christofascism and Islamic fundamentalism. Bin Laden was very clear in his recent video that he sees his version of Islamism as a viable alternative to capitalism. Given the relative weakness of the left in the U.S., you can bet that American Christofascists would have a good chance at a power grab in the event capitalism experiences a serious crisis in the near future.

This is why it is so urgent that we built a left cultural, intellectual and social infrastructure that rivals the one the Christofascists have. Because if capitalism does falter in the coming years -- well, we can all look forward to prison or a final nighttime hike into the woods...

-WD