[lbo-talk] Post Marxist Era

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Sun Sep 23 12:00:37 PDT 2007

Carrol Cox wrote:

> Rakesh Bhandari wrote:
>> the forming of an unconscious in terms of what can only be the
>> most inchoate understanding of the conflict between parents'
>> expectations and society's, a child's happiness, enthusiasm and
>> flourishing.
>
> There is no question that most brain functioning, most thinking, goes on
> unconsciously. I have never seen any even mildly interesting evidence
> tha "An Unconscious" as an entity that can be formed, can determine, etc
> exists.
>
> Carrol

Carrol's perspective reflects the mainstream view among psychologists today. We have plenty of research that supports the claim that unconscious cognitive processes do occur, but no credible research that supports Freud's claims about a coherent psychological entity called the "unconscious".

(As an aside, it's interesting to me how popular Freud is outside of the field of psychology--e.g., among lit crit profs, left-wing economists, cult studies mavens--when most psychologists today consider his ideas the equivalent of phlogiston theory. --Another testament to the insularity of the academic disciplines!)

Miles