[lbo-talk] [Fwd: Jena Ignites a Movement: Report from Yesterday's Demonstration in Jena, Louisiana]

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Sun Sep 23 18:24:25 PDT 2007

Mr. WD wrote:
> On 9/22/07, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:
>

>>This demonstration was not initiated by any one national organization,
>>and there was little coordination between some of the major
>>organizations involved. The initial call came from the families
>>themselves, and most people had heard about the demonstration through
>>local Black radio stations, especially on syndicated shows like the
>>Michael Baisden and Steve Harvey shows, as well as through blogs and
>>youtube (one activist-made youtube video, recommended by Baisden, has
>>already been seen well over a million times) as well as on social
>>networking sites like myspace. As Howard Witt has pointed out in the
>>Chicago Tribune, "Jackson, Sharpton and other big-name civil rights
>>figures, far from leading this movement, have had to scramble to catch
>>up. So, too, has the national media, which has only recently noticed a
>>story that has been agitating many black Americans for months."
>

> I first heard about Jena at an NLG meeting in New Orleans in mid-July.
> Since then, this story has exploded. The success of the largely
> African American demonstrations in Jena (which were far more
> successful, IMO, than, e.g., the bloody, largely white FTAA protests
> in Miami in 2003) is great news because it shows that a decentralized
> network can produce something really huge in a relatively short period
> of time.
>
> We would do well to study the Jena organizers' example carefully:
> their organizing strategy sounds similar to what the organizers of the
> immigrants' rights rallies did last year. My understanding is that
> radio played a key role in the immigrants' rights rallies, and it
> sounds like it did w/ Jena too.
>
> Has anyone done a study on exactly how these organizers work? If not,
> it seems to me someone needs to.

If anything, the Jena mobilization, like the pro-immigration protests, show how powerful self-interest can be in mobilizing people quickly and exponentially. Comparing Jena to the anti-FTAA protests in Miami is a bit unfair, since the FTAA is a more abstract economic issue for most Americans whereas racism is a day-to-day problem for many people. I didn't attend the Miami protests, bt I think they were pretty successful given the level of police repression and the fact that Miami is far away from where the anti-corporate left lives in the U.S.

A few hours ago I talked with a friend who is still in Jena, or at least walking on some highway outside of Jena. She told me that the number of people in Jena for the protest overwhelmed the town. The protesters were overwhelmingly African-American--she says that is was very easy for her to find a white friend from NOLA in the crowd.

She says that the feeling in the crowd, especially among the speakers, was that the mobilization was well organized and depended heavily on African-American independent media to get the word out.

It is remarkable that the Jena mobilization was so decentralized. WD asks a good question about how this group of organizers worked. I suspect that some of it had to do with being able to organize buses quickly. It would be interesting to know how the organizers used their own networks and tied that in with what local media were doing to publicize the situation.

On a more disgusting note, I'm really bummed that neo-fascist asshat Bill White is using this situation to gain national publicity for his ugly racist views. He may not get a visit from the FBI, but I suspect that the people in Roanoke, VA will make life difficult for him.

Chuck