[lbo-talk] Dilbert on Ahmadinejad

farmelantj at juno.com farmelantj at juno.com
Mon Sep 24 09:39:33 PDT 2007

The complaint that Ahmadinejjad "has proven himself incapable of engaging in a true and honest academic discussion" is particularly rich .

Jim F.

-- "Carl Remick" <carlremick at gmail.com> wrote: On 9/24/07, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> On Sep 24, 2007, at 11:19 AM, Carl Remick quoted:
>
> > And I was happy that Columbia
> > University is rescinding the offer to let him speak.
>
> They did? I don't see that on the Columbia website.

[I guess the university rescinded its rescindment. But Ahmadinejad better steer clear of the Columbia B School, whose dean (as well as onetime Federal Reserve chairman hopeful and current Mitt Romney adviser), Glenn Hubbard, is hopping mad about Ahmadinejad's campus visit. There is nothing more fearsome than an indignant economist.]

Columbia dean opposes Iran leader visit By: Mike Allen September 24, 2007 11:35 AM EST

R. Glenn Hubbard, a former White House official who now heads the Columbia Business School, has gone public with his objections to the campus visit of Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, who arrived in New York Monday and was scheduled to speak on campus this afternoon.

Hubbard, who was Chairman of the President's Council of Economic Advisers from 2001 to 2003, said in an e-mail to graduate business students: "Some would argue that a University should be a place of intellectual freedom and open debate, but others – including me – argue that Mr. Ahmadinejad, who is responsible for the death of American soldiers, denies the Holocaust, and calls for the destruction of Israel, has proven himself incapable of engaging in a true and honest academic discussion." ...

<http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm?uuid=381A2959-3048-5C12-00DB238E3083C171>

Carl