[lbo-talk] post Analytical Marxist era

Rakesh Bhandari bhandari at berkeley.edu
Mon Sep 24 09:48:45 PDT 2007

Andie

"I have explained at too-great length here what I take to be the main insights of Marx's critique of political economy and why these can be be stated without the use of value theory. I don't care to repeat my account or why it doesn't rely on neo-Sraffian models. This stuff is available on the archives."

As I understand it: you have asserted the normative primacy of individual autonomy for not explicitly Marxist (perhaps quasi Kantian?)reasons but accept Marx's social science mostly as a description of the way in which capitalist work processes undermine autonomy. That is, you reject Marxist social science as an explanatory enterprise, and you prize autonomy almost as if the very words individual freedom should intimidate anyone from even suggesting an equal or greater good. You therefore rightly insist that you are not a Marxist but a liberal of the JS Mill kind.

Perhaps this is something you can bite into.

Rakesh