[lbo-talk] [Fwd: Jena Ignites a Movement: Report from Yesterday's Demonstration in Jena, Louisiana]

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 18:00:55 PDT 2007

Do you think a series of acquittals (or the much less likely dropping of all charges) would constitute a blow against racial hierarchy?

I mean, I haven't heard anyone seriously argue that the Jena defendants did not, in fact, attach Justin Barker as a group and kick him into a coma.

In that respect, they're somewhere beyond O.J. on the Scottsboro Boys - O.J. spectrum. And while a few kooks might claim that O.J.'s acquittal was an anti-racist victory, nobody takes them seriously.

There's more than enough racial inequity to protest in what passes for our criminal justice system. I only wish that those who are doing it now had chosen less loathsome poster children.