[lbo-talk] post analytical Marxist era

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Mon Sep 24 22:10:02 PDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-09-24 at 20:49 -0700, andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> 1) there isn't a liberal version of the good life,
> being a political liberal means having the state be as
> neutral as possible on visions of the good life.

This doesn't seem a very accurate description of actually- existing liberals, who as far as I can tell are great promoters of regulation by the wise for the benefit of the unwise (whether the latter like it or not). Child seats in cars, motorcycle helmets, no-smoking rules -- and now, of course, we have the latest bright idea, compulsory enrollment in health insurance, recently adopted by that Pallas Athene of liberalism, Hillary Clinton.

No offense, Andie -- I'm really confused. Are you talking about actual liberals, or what "liberalism" ought to mean?

Then, of course, there are, and were, and apparently ever will be, Cold war liberals, and Bomb Serbia liberals, and Iran Sucks liberals.... but enough already.