[lbo-talk] Holy Crap!

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 26 03:50:25 PDT 2007

On 9/25/07, Ismail Lagardien <ilagardien at yahoo.com> wrote:
> "The Secret History of the USA"
> http://www.nw0.info/files/eBooks%20and%20Audio%20Books/The.Secret.History.Of.the.USA.pdf
>
> Some conspiracies boggle the mind (caveat: I haven't read the entire document - couldn't be arsed)
>
> What say you?

I can never tell whether these things are jokes, like the Illuminati Trilogy. I've seen Michael Tsarion, a guy who can casually relate the Lizard People with the Nike swish logo, and he acts entirely reasonable, except for the content of what comes out of his mouth.

(The guy has a sense of humor: a couple of us watched in amazement as he offhandedly mentioned Bush in passing, rolling his eyes with some sarcastic comment about how impressive a decisionmaker Bush is.)

I heard a claim that conspiracy theories lead to reactionary, regressive politics. It's probably true; they ignore social relations in favor of a bunch of villains -- shut down the villains, and we can all happily live as the Founding Fathers intended us to.

"I love it when someone humanizes the Founding Fathers, as opposed

to deifying them. You always see people in Congress stand up and

say 'The Founding Fathers were... gods,' but it turns out they

were... whoring slaveowners."

― Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

(I heard that claim from "The Anarchism of Fools: Conspiracy Theory as a Substitute for Social Critique", given at the Renewing the Anarchist Tradition conference.) http://resourcepage.wordpress.com/2007/05/10/the-anarchism-of-fools-conspiracy-theory-as-a-substitute-for-social-critique/

Tayssir