[lbo-talk] letter to the editor

Doug Henwood DHENWOOD at PANIX.COM
Wed Sep 26 05:04:42 PDT 2007

New York Times - September 26, 2007 <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/26/opinion/l26iran.html?pagewanted=2>

To the Editor:

Re “Mr. Ahmadinejad Speaks” (editorial, Sept. 25): In commenting on the appearance of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad at Columbia, you say, “Unlike Iran’s citizens, Americans have the right to laugh at leaders.” Yes, we do have that right, and I’m glad for it.

But when was the last time President Bush appeared before an audience that laughed at him? His audiences are always screened for potential troublemakers. People wearing T-shirts or carrying signs with critical messages are kept out of view. He barely has to face a difficult question from a member of the public.

It would be nice if we could exercise the right to laugh at our leaders where they might actually hear the cackles.

Doug Henwood New York, Sept. 25, 2007