[lbo-talk] [Fwd: Jena Ignites a Movement: Report from Yesterday'sDemonstration in Jena, Louisiana]

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Sep 26 08:48:58 PDT 2007

Joseph Catron's racist quibbles and the lengthy (and excellent) replies they have provoked have served to depoliticize a potentially major event in u.s. political history.

I'm aware that although a spark can ignite a prairie file several million go out before the prairie ignites -- nevertheless _all_ even remotely promising sparks _must_ be honored by leftists.

Please look at the subject line! Jena has ignited a powerful response. THAT (and not the details the events in Jena) is the core of this matter. It may sputter out. It will probably sputter out. It will almost certainly sputter out -- Jena is _exactly_ what turning points in history look like.

A book I have never read has a title which could summarize a century: They Should Have Served That Cup of Coffee.

Carrol