[lbo-talk] Last Supper, in a leather harness

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 26 10:52:40 PDT 2007

Mr. WD wrote:
> Not long ago, I would have thought this was hilarious. These days,
> though, blasphemy against any religion just strikes me as desperate
> and deeply insecure.
>
> Don't get me wrong: The people in the picture are my kind of folks,
> and I do more than my fair share of criticizing and making fun of
> religion. It's beyond clear that religions have brought these kinds
> of attacks upon themselves.
>
> For me, the problem is definitely not that people find blasphemy
> deeply offensive. I think it's the gratuitousness of it... I guess
> I'm just conflicted about this. Should I be?
>
> -WD

Back when sacred meant something I agreed with you. Now xtians no longer know the meaning of the word sacred. They wear "Gods Gym" t-shirts styled after the Gold's Gym logo. I just saw a take on the "Keep on Truckin" image by Crumb done as "Keep on Trustin" (Jesus) that some kid was wearing. Xtians blaspheme against their own sacred images every day so getting their panties in a wad over someone else doing it strikes me as hollow and hypocritical. Something xtains are very good at and have been for some time. Years ago when I was a xtian I would been shocked to see the blasphemy that is so accepted by todays xtians. If you wish others to respect your sacred imagery you must first do so yourself. If not, it's more than all fair game. It practically requires that we roll these images in the gutter in the most capricious and gratuitous manner possible. Xtians made it a cheap commodity themselves and they stripped the sacred from their icons with no help from infidels.

As an artist I lament the loss of sacredness in images but what has been done cannot be undone.

John Thornton