[lbo-talk] help

Mark Rickling mrickling at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 16:08:24 PDT 2007

On 9/26/07, Eric <rayrena at realtime.net> wrote:

> Can someone remind me again why unions are so vital to leftist
> politics? As far as I can tell, really existing unions are actually
> retreating from politics, toward the national interest and away from
> any sort of working-class mutual aid. I know this is not a new
> development, but after the UAW deal, it seems like it might really be
> useful to evaluate the left's undying faith in the anachronistic
> political form called the union.

Can you remind me why your own vision of "leftist politics" would be recognized in any instance as vital by average working Americans to their own individual and collective interests? Unions retreating from politics? Here you must have an incredibly curious definition of politics which wholly excludes the subset of "party politics" as well as moving legislation through Congress, since to argue that unions are retreating from both of these is laughable. Last time I checked, working people made up the vast majority of this nation, so I don't get your opposition of national interest and working-class self help. And as far as evaluating unions as anachronistic, this puts you in intellectual lockstep with the capitalist class and their sundry mouthpieces, such as the WSJ editorial page. Congrats.

Forgive me if I sound hostile, as I had to endure as an employee of one of these anachronisms a four hour deposition today. Apparently the boss doesn't think we're as anachronistic as some in the internet vanguard.