[lbo-talk] GM-UAW agreement

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Wed Sep 26 17:56:24 PDT 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:

> So, NYC isn't all that different from the U.S. or KC.

I'm glad that you've granted official blue state status to Kansas City.

The politics in Kansas City are actually much more liberal than outsiders might think. I know that the metropolitan area is much more liberal than it was 20 years ago when it was a Republican stronghold.

I think this discussion was originally focused on the atmosphere for radical politics around the U.S. right now. I think that leftists are a bit more cautious since 9/11, but I get the impression from talking to people that they are itching to do more radical activities. Yes, most Americans are hostile to radical politics and have a low level of class and labor consciousness, but I think the situation is better for our side than it was 10, 20 years ago.

I also think that many working people these days have some radical attitudes. At least many of them are pissed off about the war, Bush and Congress. More and more of them are upset about the economy and globalization. But if you've convinced yourself that the situation sucks, you won't go out and make connections with these people.

It's your choice.

Chuck