[lbo-talk] [Fwd: Jena Ignites a Movement: Report from Yesterday's Demonstration in Jena, Louisiana]

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 26 18:56:13 PDT 2007

Joseph Catron wrote:
> On 9/26/07, John Thornton <jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> Getting
>> sucker punched or kicked in the back of the head sucks but to consider
>> it somehow more loathsome than some other aspect of adolescent fighting
>> is daft. What adolescent fights have some sort of Marques of Queensbury
>> code of honor? What the hell kind of utopia did you grow up in? [JT]
>>

> Virginia.
>
> Where did you grow up with agemates reportedly as loathsome as you?

Now I'm loathsome as well? How did that happen? I grew up in many places including, but not limited to, NYC and just outside a reservation in Oklahoma. I was a very well traveled child.

>> I understand such fights rather well having been involved in my fair
>> share of them growing up so it is you my friend that do not grasp the
>> reality of the fighting in these instances. [JT]
>>

> I'm not your friend, and I've been in my share.

Suit yourself, I have plenty of friends already.

>> At the
>> same age and in similar circumstances I would have kicked this punks
>> ass after the nooses were hung. [JT]
>>

> Even though no one has even alleged Justin Barker had anything to do with it?

Justin put himself into the conflict when he opened up his stupid racist mouth and told Bailey he got what he deserved when Bailey was beaten up. If he had kept his ignorant mouth shut no one would have touched him. Since he expressed solidarity with the racists he is correctly treated as one. The students who hung the nooses were close friends of his and he also defended their actions. None of this means he deserved to be beaten but he was not an uninvolved party and he chose which side he wished to be affiliated with. If you side with racist thugs who threaten and beat people and ridicule their victims don't be shocked when one of the victims of that racism beats you. Apparently Justin had no problem with other people being beat so his willingness to endorse violence bit him in the ass as it were. I would have sought out the noose hangers immediately after the initial incident.

>> Improper uppity violent
>> loathsome black kids. [JT]
>>

> More like chickenshit cowards, who come in all colors, apparently
> including whatever yours is.

Now I'm a chickenshit coward as well or is being a chickenshit coward what makes me loathsome? I do hope Doug doesn't end this thread before you get a chance to publicly declare what makes me a chickenshit coward in your eyes. Since you choose to call me this on-list I'd rather have an on-list explanation. I haven't been called a nasty name since someone on this list called me a Nazi sympathizer for expressing my opinion in the Schiavo case.

You're also showing yourself to be rather a silly person as opposed to someone simply uninformed so you might wish to consider that before making future posts. I like to imagine my color is irrelevant to this discussion but so far as I am aware only white people have described these young men as loathsome. Charles has defended them as have I so maybe not being white helps one see this event more accurately? Not this it is a requirement, only that it helps.

As I said before, you just don't grasp what it means to NOT be able to get help from the authorities and how that affects how one reacts to such a situation. Your inability to understand this appears to make you equally unable to understand the events surrounding this case. Hopefully this is the reason for your ignorant statements rather than simply hateful racism. Name calling is generally the tactic of the hateful and stupid (not always, but generally) and as you probably don't want others to perceive you as stupid and hateful you might want to end the practice.

John Thornton