[lbo-talk] Rep. Dingell unveils carbon tax bill

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Sep 27 05:59:15 PDT 2007

From: Charles Komanoff Date: September 26, 2007 10:07:28 PM EDT Subject: Rep. Dingell unveils carbon tax bill

Dear friends --

Earlier this evening, Rep. John Dingell, the senior Congressmember and a prime mover of U.S. energy policy, unveiled his draft carbon tax bill.

We at the Carbon Tax Center think this is a major development. As we say in our just-posted blog:

With a mighty creak of long-rusted hinges,

a door is finally opening in Washington. The

present Congress will apparently be asked to

consider a carbon tax.

Dingell is asking the public for comments.

Here's ours: we think the bill is terrific.

We invite you to read the full post (it's on our Home Page at <http://www.carbontax.org>; you might have to Page Down once), examine our spreadsheet model (there's a link in the post), and comment both on our blog and on Rep. Dingell's.

Though the bill is still in draft form, its arrival is the most positive development for taxing carbon since CTC opened our doors eight months ago. We're pleased and excited.

Much work has gone into this development. Rep. Dingell's staff reached out to CTC starting in June, and we have done many "model runs" and had many fruitful and frank discussions.

Of course this step is just one of many that CTC intends to take to build public and political support for a carbon tax. Please consider taking this opportunity to support our work -- the gateway to do so is here: http://www.carbontax.org/contact/

Many thanks and best wishes.

-- Charles (Komanoff)

Dan (Rosenblum)