[lbo-talk] letter to the editor

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 27 12:45:08 PDT 2007

Robert --

You took the thread in the direction of his intelligence; I brought it up to make a point about Doug's letter to the editor and free speech, which had to do w/ folks claiming Ahmedinijad would finally face the awesome power of free speech in America, now that folks have an opportunity to laugh at him, heckle him. Doug said Americans don't even get that with Bush, who shielded at talks. My brief, innocuous response was that not only do we not get that, we don't even get it with the transcripts of Bush's speeches, either, because his gaffes & other flubs are cleaned up. That seemed to cue "the comforting notion that Bush is dumb" tangent, which I didn't introduce.

-B.

Robert Wrubel wrote:

"But what difference does it make whether Bush is stupid or not?"