[lbo-talk] post analytical Marxist era/ post liberal era

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 27 19:58:15 PDT 2007

Well, I agree that it's at least problematic to use unemployment to flight inflation, whether it is unethical (A notion that would make old Chuck laugh out loud) depends on a lot of things, like, what provision is made for the unemployed.

I don't like the term "natural rate" of unemployment, although -- although! the concept behind it can be used, as Keynes use it, to attack the neoclassical idea that all markets clear if the prices are right. Keynes observed that it is a deep fact about capitalism that the labor market NEVER clears, which is a big problem for the NCE and in fact for Friedman's school too.

And the concept behind it can be used as old Chuck used it, whom JMK ignorantly despised, to underwrite the point that capitalism _needs_ a "reserve army of unemployed" to enforce labor discipline. Friedman's NARU idea is sort of a right wing way of admitting these uncomfortable facts. And I don't excuse the evil old bat, but he's far from unique in having ideological blinders.