[lbo-talk] letter to the editor

Carl Remick carlremick at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 21:16:43 PDT 2007

> On Sep 27, 2007, at 4:35 PM, Carl Remick wrote:
>
> > Walter Wriston? Yeah, Wriston was real Mensa material and in a great
> > position to judge. Wriston's most famous observation, speaking in
> > favor of sovereign-debt lending, was: "Countries don't go out of
> > business." As has been duly noted, countries can't go bankrupt, but those
> > who lend to them can.
>
> Yeah, poor Citibank. It used to be such a big bank.

Please. As is true of most financial services institutions, Citi has shuffled the deck so often since the distant days when Wriston ran the place that I'm sure there's no trace of him left in the organizational DNA. The last link with the Wriston era was broken when Wriston successor John S. Reed left after losing a power struggle with Sandy Weill, who'd merged with Citi as CEO of Travelers Group. The lasting (so far) monument to Weill's victory is the red arc that now sits triumphantly atop the "citi" in the Citibank logo -- the arc represents the umbrella that was the symbol of Travelers in its days as a humble insurer, before getting turbocharged by Weill.

Carl