[lbo-talk] "The Ister"

Mr. WD mister.wd at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 07:24:56 PDT 2007

Last night at Duke I saw a screening of David Barison and Daniel Ross's film "The Ister." The film is centered around commentary on the ideas in Heidegger's lecture on Holderlin's poem "The Ister" (coming from the Greek name for the Danube) and juxtaposes this with images and interviews from the directors' journey up the Danube to its source in Germany.

IMO, this film is a lot more ambitious than Kirby Dick's "Derrida" or Astra Taylor's "Zizek!" and the directors here were largely successful. This is especially remarkable because neither of the directors had any film making experience.

So I highly recommend it if you have even a casual interest in Heidegger (like me) or you're just curious about what a well-made documentary about a philosopher looks like. And contrary to some of the reviews, I actually thought the first half was pretty accessible and potentially interesting to thoughtful people who aren't all that interested in philosophy.

Reviews, trailer, screenings and DVD info are here: http://www.theister.com/index2.html

-WD