[lbo-talk] attitudes towards religion

Carl Remick carlremick at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 09:04:44 PDT 2007

On 9/28/07, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

> ravi wrote:

> > > Except on those occasions when he was contemplating increasing the
> > > suffering of mankind, as in:
> >
> > Yes, he had his faults and elitism. I was asking that we consider the
> > [particular] words, not the man.
>
> He was also widely known as a "sexual predator." Had he been female he
> would have been labelled a nympho.

But since he was a male, I think Bertrand Russell was simply paying the price for being an über-nerd -- all those decades of being trapped in his cerebrum, then he suddenly discovers ... women! I'm sure you know the apparently apocryphal story -- i.e. that on one of his lecture tours of America, Russell found himself at dinner sitting next to the principal of a respectable girls' college, who asked him: "Why did you give up philosophy?" To which he supposedly replied: "Because I discovered I preferred fucking." It's been noted, however, that this is consistent with many things that Russell did say, including his remark to Virginia Woolf that his devotion to serious intellectual work came to an end when "my passions got hold of me."

In any event, his "passions" appear to have been thwarted to some degree by the characteristic limitations of British dentistry. As is well known, Russell had a very rocky relationship with Lady Ottoline Morrell. Russell was inclined to ascribe this solely to bad breath. As he recalled: "I was suffering from pyorrhoea [at the time] although I did not know it, and this caused my breath to be offensive, which also I did not know. She [Ottoline] could not bring herself to mention it, and it was only after I had discovered the trouble and had it cured, that she let me know how much it had affected her." But there is, apparently, every reason to believe that Ottoline didn't like Russell just because he was so obnoxious in general. She wrote at one point: "I would give my right hand to be free from Bertie." <http://www.geocities.com/vu3ash/index.htm4.htm>

Ah, love!

Carl