[lbo-talk] Los Angeles homicide news

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 28 11:56:13 PDT 2007

<http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/front/la-me-gangs28sep28,1,6457309.story?coll=la-headlines-frontpage>http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/front/la-me-gangs28sep28,1,6457309.story?coll=la-headlines-frontpage

From the Los Angeles Times

Big drop in homicides in L.A.

The turnaround comes after a high-profile program that enlists the help of gang intervention workers. By Hector Becerra and Richard Winton Los Angeles Times Staff Writers

10:35 AM PDT, September 28, 2007

Los Angeles has seen a significant decline in homicides so far this year -- including a 50% drop in killings in some South L.A. neighborhoods, such as Watts -- as police embarked on a new strategy involving asking ex-gang members to help prevent violence.

The city got through the traditionally violent summer months with 167 gang-related homicides, compared with 214 for the same period last year. Homicides citywide are now at levels not seen since 1970.

The drop comes nine months after Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa and Los Angeles Police Chief William J. Bratton vowed to crack down on gangs. But though previous anti-gang campaigns have involved mass arrests and high-profile sweeps, this effort has been more targeted.

And in its most radical shift, the LAPD is putting aside decades of suspicion and turning for help to gang intervention workers, many of whom were gang members.

"For the first time, we're requiring captains to call the gang interventionists, give them the word on the shooting and get out there and avert another homicide," Deputy Police Chief Charlie Beck said.

"We are pretty good at solving homicides, but we are trying to get better at preventing the next homicide."

Beck and other LAPD officials said the intervention workers have been particularly good at "rumor control," calming tensions after a shooting to prevent retaliation.

It's a delicate dance, with gang interventionists taking pains to not look as though they're directly working with police out of fear of losing street credibility. They will help ease tensions, but most refuse to provide detectives with gang intelligence.

"That's a paradigm-changing breakthrough," said Connie Rice, a civil rights attorney who was hired by Los Angeles to evaluate its anti-gang programs. "They know they can't contaminate each other, and they're figuring the lines that can't be crossed, so they're negotiating that right now. I know that work is going forward."

[.....]