[lbo-talk] black? African American?

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 28 16:03:41 PDT 2007

Doug Henwood forwarded:
> September 28, 2007
> Black or African American?
> "African American" slightly preferred among those who have a preference
>
> by Frank Newport
> GALLUP NEWS SERVICE
>
> The fundamental conclusion from these data underscores what has been
> found previously: A majority of blacks in America today do not have a
> preference for the use of the term black or African American when
> they are given the explicit opportunity to say so.

I would like to know if there are social indicators which correlate to preferences. My own observations of Native Americans is that most have no preference between Native American or Indian but of those who do most are University educated. More specifically the preference changes depending on the context, that is University educated Native Americans prefer to be called Native Americans by whites but prefer to be called Indians by other Indians. Most non-University educated Native Americans use Indian (written NDN in online communications with other Native Americans) more than Native American but don't prefer to see either term used by Native Americans or whites. I wonder is a similar set of preferences exists among African Americans?

John Thornton