[lbo-talk] sex offenders! sex panic!

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 29 09:44:35 PDT 2007

I read that same report Debbie Nathan refers to -- about Bush allocating all this money to combat human trafficking and that it has yielded few arrests, leading many to believe the problem was way, way overstated to begin with. Regardless, it still makes fine subject-matter for TV shows like Law & Order: SVU.

Also mentioned by Debbie Nathan is Bill O'Reilly's excitement that no one at an African-American eatery in Harlem was shouting, "I want more iced tea, motherfucker!" (Yes, that is literally what Bill O'Reilly said he was surprised no one was shouting.) O'Reilly then proceeded, based on this one trip out of his white n' wealthy comfort zone to make sweeping proclamations about the state of black America. Based on a restaurant visit of maybe an hour, O'Reilly said he was now convinced, having himself been to Hell and back, that black people are becoming "more independent" and less beholden to the tyrannical whims of leaders like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson. Yet it was Sharpton that invited him to eat at Sylvia's. So O'Reilly's brief foray convinced him, since no one was cussing and calling on motherfuckers for iced tea, that black people everywhere were becoming less beholden to the man that had invited him there for a meal.

-B.

Doug Henwood wrote:

"And a roundup of sex panic news by Debbie Nathan, who is a national treasure: http://www.debbienathan.com/"