[lbo-talk] sex offenders! sex panic!

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Sat Sep 29 11:10:11 PDT 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:

>What looks like an excellent Human Rights Watch report on the madness
>of U.S. sex offender registration laws. Some 600,000 people now on
>the list!
>
><http://hrw.org/reports/2007/us0907/us0907web.pdf>
>
>And a roundup of sex panic news by Debbie Nathan, who is a national
>treasure:
>
><http://www.debbienathan.com/>.

In the Oakland Unified School District a debate now rages against the requirement that parent volunteers be fingerprinted every year in order to be able to come and help in the schools.

Most (75%) parents polled opposed this requirement and complain that this is criminalizing the very people who are willing to give time and energy to supporting the public schools. They also point out that a lot of parents who have time to spare but not money, would have to spend close to 100$ to fulfill this requirement each year.

The growing criminalization of the general population is growing apace, culminating, I guess, on the day when we are all in debtors prison.

Joanna