[lbo-talk] Cacophony on the Left (was Iran, Iraq, Israel)

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 11:14:24 PDT 2007

> Excellent conversation here:
>
> <http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=07/09/25/142247>
<snip>
> ERVAND ABRAHAMIAN:
> the serious problem we
> have now, which is we're at the abyss of war, basically. And there
> are people pushing for war in the next few months.

This is an example of the total cacophony on the Left. No consensus on even whether Washington is going to militarily attack Iran in "the next few months." Some think like Ervand Abrahamian above, Pham Binh, etc.; others think like Noam Chomsky*, Hossein Derakhshan, etc.

What's clear is that Washington is already doing economic sanctions, covert actions, "democracy assistance," media propaganda, etc. against Iran and doing everything to escalate them. Why not focus on countering _what it is already doing_, instead of what it may or may not do? Besides, if we can roll back sanctions, etc. and get the USA to normalize its relations with Iran, that will at the same time be a measure against any idea of war.

* Noam Chomsky says: "Despite the saber-rattling, it is, I suspect, unlikely that the Bush administration will attack Iran" ("Chomsky: There Will Be a Cold War Between Iran and the U.S.," City Lights, 30 July 2007, 31 July 2007, <http://www.alternet.org/story/58243/>). -- Yoshie