[lbo-talk] _cool it_, bjorn lomborg

Gar Lipow the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 14:27:11 PDT 2007

On 9/28/07, martin <mschiller at pobox.com> wrote:
> I was surprised the other nite when jon stewart came across as rather
> dismissive of this guy, and his book. His arguments and resume seemed
> reasonable, and appear well documented as I look through the book.
>
> If I'm mistaken in my reading of jon stewart I'll feel better.

His resume certainly is not reasonable. He wrote an awful book called "The Skeptical Environmentalist" in which he was caught using cherry picking and other faulty statistical techniques to make the case that world environmental problems were exaggerated. The Danish Committee on Scientific Dishonesty investigated charges againstt, and decided the book itself was scientifically dishonest, but acquitted Lomborg of deliberate dishonesty on grounds that the lacked scientific training, and therefore his he may have made honest errors rather that being deliberately dishonest .

The things the society found wrong with his book included:

1. Fabrication of data;

2. Selective discarding of unwanted results (selective citation);

3. Deliberately misleading use of statistical methods;

4. Distorted interpretation of conclusions;

5. Plagiarism;

6. Deliberate misinterpretation of others' results.

Haven't read the new book, but Joe Romm (who I respect on scientific and technical issues even though we have some strong disagreements on political economy) does not think highly of it:

http://gristmill.grist.org/story/2007/9/13/105130/672

http://gristmill.grist.org/story/2007/9/14/142514/357

http://gristmill.grist.org/story/2007/9/17/151133/245