[lbo-talk] Bello article

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Sep 30 13:25:55 PDT 2007

On Sep 30, 2007, at 3:15 PM, MICHAEL YATES wrote:

> So I think working people have no choice but to
> try to form global resistance organizations and aim for control
> globally
> too. And this is a good thing. Why would it be bad to break down the
> national/international distinction? Does Bello fear some sort of
> mongrelization? Why shouldn't it be a good thing for cultures to
> mingle and
> mesh and form new cultures?

All excellent questions, I'm sure you won't be surprised to hear.

When I interviewed him a few years ago, he rejected any return to import substitution strategies in favor of one giving a low priority to industrialization in favor of the preservation of rural life. That seems so against the tide of history that it's hard to imagine happening. It also doesn't seem very relevant to his home base, The Philippines, which is now 63% urban.

Doug