[lbo-talk] Class, Power, and Religion (was Last Supper, in a leather harness)

Peter Hart Ward pward at peterhartward.com
Sun Sep 30 19:29:14 PDT 2007

"Why I am a Self-Hating Atheist"

It is instructive to look at Britain--a predominantly atheist country, and one that has been for some time. There the political consequences of this atheism are not apparent--the UK is guilty of all the same crimes the US is, and in many respects is even more hypocritical. Personally, I agree with Bertrand Russell that, "Religion belongs to the infancy of human reason"; but I'm not convinced that religious faith one way or the other is anywhere near as important from leftist perspective as its made often out to be. Furthermore, I am skeptical about whether those who claim to be atheists in fact are. I would regard, as John Dewey did, Marxists as theists in the truest sense (beyond a superficial level Marxism is in fact, a few novel ideas aside, a virtual analogue of Christianity)*, e.g. A willingness to face unpleasant, often embarrassing, facts, and the ability to make rational choices is crucial, and clearly belonging to any kind of fanaticism will make this difficult or impossible; but it is not as simple as being or not being an "atheist".

It is probably worth noting, that in many cases, religious fundamentalism is a symptom of oppression. This was the case with my ancestors, the Puritans; it was, I believe, the case for Hasidic Jews (a religion which I happen to be well acquainted and have discovered a lot of respect for); and is, increasingly, the case with Moslems, especially those living in Europe. It is in fact evidence of the relative freedom and tolerance of the United States that there are so many fundamentalists in this country--in many cases they have been refugees fleeing, often violent, persecution in their home countries.

At any rate secularism-atheism can no more be trust upon an individual or a group than democracy can be "brought" to a foreign county. If atheists are in fact being predicated--I can't say that I have been, for what it's worth--they should of course fight it. But, if they simply do not like the existence of people with whom they disagree, Though beans old chap!**

*In spite of the fact I was raised a devout atheist, given a choice between the "slave-master morality" of Christianity and Nietzsche's own "slave-master" morality, I'll lake Christianity.

**Atheist may claim to not be well-represented on TV; but they are a hell of a lot better represented than, e.g., African Americans!--In reality, shows like Star Trek or films like Contact are 100% atheist propaganda.

Peter