[lbo-talk] Skin lightening cream commercial from India, 'with American double strength'

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 30 21:40:23 PDT 2007

ravi wrote:

"Also, a small correction: Bangladesh was a part of Pakistan: East Pakistan, as per the partition of India into predominantly Muslim (Pakistan and Bangladesh) and non-Muslim ones. So, what happened was a civil war and a separatist movement that India aided and ultimately participated in to secure the independence of Bangladesh."

Ravi,

That's what I meant when I said "wars of secession." Bangladesh's secession from Pakistan. I knew it was a single country. My understanding was that India put a stop to Pakistan's attack on Bangladesh. Hence where I mentioned (which you didn't quote) Chomsky's contrasting the 90s being called the decade of "humanitarian intervention" by the US -- when actually in the 70s several countries had also engaged in "humanitarian interventions" (Vietnam into Cambodia to stop the Khmer Rouge, India into the Pakistan/Bangladesh imbroglio), but no one called that a decade of humanitarian intervention, because it involved countries that don't count. (You know, countries that are not America.)

-B.