[lbo-talk] Hillary & sexism

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Apr 1 08:03:15 PDT 2008

Shane Mage, I read on Lou Proyect's list that you haven't seen any sexist commentary on Hillary Clinton. Literally two minutes after I read that funny claim, I saw this on Gawker.

STANLEY CROUCH Hil-Sterical!

Author and noted critic-slugger Stanley Crouch, on Hillary Clinton: "On TV, Clinton seems by turns icy, contrived, hysterical, sentimental, bitter, manipulative and self-righteous." Play along at home: which of those adjectives also describe Stanley Crouch? Hint: we don't know or care if he's sentimental, and "icy" is only an insult to ladies. (We read a day-old Crouch column because Drudge decided it and a day-old Hitchens column were important enough to be highlighted this morning. Fun fact: both columns call Hillary "hysterical"!) [NYDN]

10:38 AM on Tue Apr 1 2008 By Pareene