[lbo-talk] Educated Ignoramus

Andy F andy274 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 04:22:36 PDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 12:50 AM, Joanna <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:

> The last time I had lunch with my stockbroker I said "Basically, the way
> it works is that they want to privatize profits and socialize losses!"
> He nodded, repeated the phrase, and then wrote it down to remember. He
> thought it was a great insight.

I recently had a moment like this with an officemate who was expressing irritation at people walking away from upside-down mortgages -- "you agreed to pay the money, and that's that" kind of thing. While making it clear I wasn't for any particular bailout scheme, I made the point that nobody forced lenders to loan the money, and asked why "personal responsibility" always ends near the bottom. He later said he learned something from that.

-- Andy