[lbo-talk] Obama on poverty: straight DLC

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 2 16:46:52 PDT 2008

Jordan Hayes wrote:
> Doug writes:
>

>> [EITC] is better than nothing, but it'd be nice if wages were
>> higher ...
>>

> I'd prefer for it to be handled by payroll companies rather than by
> 1040EZ filers, but there you have it. I think the bottom line (and I
> think this is Max's original point) is that we should be 'for' anything
> that lowers the tax burden of the poor, right? It's not either/or: you
> can still be in favor of additional reforms.
>
> So getting back to the original question: are you part of the people who
> are against EITC because it's an employer subsidy, or are you against
> EITC for other reasons?
>
> /jordan

I original point of the posting was that Obama's position on poverty issues; EITC, TANF, and "responsible fatherhood legislation", were no different than Clinton's rather than who is or isn't in favor of the EITC and why. In the articles own words:

"The point is not that Obama is worse than Clinton on poverty -- ....... The point is that Obama's record on poverty does not bear out the hype that he personifies change."

The bit about Doug's preference concerning higher wages rather than EITC was just personal commentary IIRC. As to whether EITC can be correctly called an employer subsidy, while interesting and probably worth debating, is also not related to the original question as to why people insist Obama is the candidate of change.

I support the EITC and believe it is an employer subsidy so I'm not certain why Max wrote:

"The only people who don't support the EITC are a few misguided lefts who insist without a scintilla of evidence that it's an employer subsidy."

This suggests leftists who believe EITC is an employer subsidy don't support it for specifically for that reason. It also misdirects the argument away from the point the author of the article Doug cited makes; namely that Obama's position on poverty issues, as defined by the author of the article, is the same as Clinton's.

John Thornton