[lbo-talk] Marx on the credit crunch? (Science, History, Freedom)

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Thu Apr 3 06:23:08 PDT 2008

>>> Eubulides

==================

The "enormous mastery of nature", yet another ridiculous illusion; I hope you don't share it CB.

^^^^^ CB: I'm honestly not sure what you mean , Ian. It does seem that there has been "enormous" human technological development relative to the days of hunting and gathering ,doesn't it ? I don't think it's an illusion that humans control more of their surroundings now than they did then. I don't mean by "mastery" that humans control the totality of "nature" which of course is effectively "infinite" relative to we tiny little earthly beings. We don't even control earth's weather. But we control more of our environment than the first humans did. I can understand questioning whether it's "progress", if that's what you mean. ______________